Is your throat starting to feel a little sore and scratchy? Try heading that problem off early by implementing a few home remedies for sore throat.
If I can avoid a trip to the doctor’s office – or even to the local pharmacy aisle – I’m all about it.
As long as your sore throat is not caused by a bacterial infection, you should be able to treat it at home with a couple of ordinary household ingredients. But if you do have an infection – you’ll want to get into the doctor for an antibiotic as the below remedies just won’t help.
Our Tried and True Home Remedies for Sore Throat
- Be quiet! This is a great time to just stop talking and rest your voice.
- Keep the fluids flowing! This will help to keep your throat moist and can help to prevent dehydration. Try to avoid caffeine and alcohol which dehydrate.
- Enjoy some comfort food! Sip on warm liquids such as broths, tea (I love Yogi Throat Comfort Tea), and warm water with a bit of honey. Cold foods such as ice pops can also help to keep your throat moist and feeling a bit better.
- Saltwater Gargle! Oh, I dread doing this – but it is the one that always works for me. Mix up to 1/2 teaspoon of table salt into 8 ounces of lukewarm water. Gargle this mixture and then spit it out. Do not consume! Repeat a few times if necessary.
- Suck on throat lozenges or hard candies. Either one can help to soothe that sore throat. Avoid giving these to young children as they may inadvertently choke.
- Humidify the air. Try using an essential oil diffuser/humidifier to keep the air from being too dry.
Content on this site is not intended to be medical advice or to take the place of your health care provider. Always seek certified medical assistance when you are in doubt.
At Mom Fave, we write about stuff we love and that we think you’ll enjoy as well. Mom Fave often collaborates in affiliate partnerships, so we may get a share of the revenue from your purchase. Read our disclosure policy here.